Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Our Privacy Statement
What Is A Privacy Statement?
A Privacy Statement explains what information we hold about you, why we hold it, how we protect it for you and how you can have your information removed from our files if you so wish.
Why Do We Have A Privacy Statement?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDRP), come into effect on May 25th 2018 and affects the way that companies collect, store and manage information.
What Information Do We Hold About You And Why?
We need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, in order to deliver your goods or come to your premises to affect an installation or repair, we need to know information such as your name, address, contact telephone numbers and so on. Where you have made a purchase from us, we need your details to hold any warranty details.
We will hold details such as your name, billing/delivery address, email and telephone numbers. We hold records of purchases, warranties, works done and invoices. We also record details of your interactions with us through our office, in store or online. Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit a shop or car park.
Who Do We Share Your Personal Information With?
We may share your personal information with contractors who carry out work on our behalf; for example if we use a courier to deliver a product to you or we need to arrange for a specialist engineer to complete your work.
We may share you details with our Finance suppliers in order to arrange payment plans.
We do not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
What Are Your Rights And Our Responsibilities?
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it. Access to your personal data is password-protected. We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we look to identify ways to further strengthen security.
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels)
If you have a complaint about the way we have handled your data you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office by calling 0303 123 1113 or online at www.ico.org.uk/concerns
- Explaining the legal bases we rely on.
- When do we collect your personal data?
- What sort of personal data do we collect?
- How do we use your personal data?
- How we protect your personal data.
- How long will we keep your personal data?
- Who do we share your personal data with?
- What are your rights over your personal data?
- Use of your personal data for direct marketing?
11.1 How we use your personal data.
11.2 How our providers use your personal data
11.3 Joint use of your personal data
- Contacting the Regulator.
This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.
2. The legal basis we have for collecting data
The law on data protection sets out a number of different reasons for which a company may collect and process your personal data, including:
This is the most likely reason for us to collect your data. In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, in order to deliver your goods or come to your premises to affect an installation or repair, we need to know information such as your name, address, contact telephone numbers and so on. Where you have made a purchase from us, we need your details to hold any warranty details.
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent. When collecting your personal data, we’ll always make clear to you which data is necessary in connection with a particular service.
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, with your consent, we may use your purchase history to send you personalised offers.
3. When do we collect your personal data?
- When you contact us in person, by phone or via email to provide a service, such as an installation or repair.
- When you make an online or in store purchase
- When you purchase a warranty or extended warranty from us.
- When you arrange a rental of a product
- When you book any kind of appointment with us
- When you contact us by any means with queries or complaints.
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you comment on or review our products and services.
- When you fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens in store, we may collect your personal data.
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- When our Finance suppliers and partners share information with us about the product you have purchased.
- When you use our car parks and shops which usually have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and Partners. These systems may record your image during your visit.
4. What sort of personal data do we collect?
- If you have contacted us as above we will ask for your name, billing/delivery address, email and telephone numbers.
- We hold records of purchases, warranties, works done and invoices.
- Details of your interactions with us through our office, in store or online
- Details of your visits to our websites or apps, and which site you came from to ours.
- Payment card information.
- Your comments and product reviews.
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit a shop or car park.
5. How do we use your personal data?
- To process any orders that you make in store or by using our websites. If we don’t collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations. For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered, and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees and so on
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you sent enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
- If you have a warranty or extended guarantee policy with us which is coming to an end, we’ll contact you with details of a replacement policy, even if you have chosen not to receive direct marketing from us. We do this because we believe it’s a service you’d expect from us and it is in your interest to know what options you have.
- To protect our customers, premises, assets and Partners from crime, we operate CCTV systems in our stores and car parks which record images for security. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests. This also helps to protect our customers from fraud.
- If we discover any criminal activity or alleged criminal activity through our use of CCTV, fraud monitoring and suspicious transaction monitoring, we will process this data for the purposes of preventing or detecting unlawful acts. We aim is to protect the individuals we interact with from criminal activities.
- With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email, web, text, telephone and through our contact centres about relevant products and services including tailored special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on.
You are free to opt out of hearing from us by any of these channels at any time.
- To send you relevant, personalised communications by post in relation to updates, offers, services and products. We’ll do this on the basis of our legitimate business interest.
You are free to opt out of hearing from us by post at any time.
- We use traffic log cookies on our website to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
- To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you. For example, updates to this Privacy Notice, product recall notices, and legally required information relating to your orders. These service messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email or text message. If we do not use your personal data for these purposes, we would be unable to comply with our legal obligations.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
- To process your booking/appointment requests we may need to share your details with a third party who is providing a service on our behalf (such as delivery couriers or a specialist engineer visiting your home). We do so to maintain our appointment with you. Without sharing your personal data, we’d be unable to fulfil your request
6. How we protect your personal data
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites and apps using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected.
We do not store sensitive data (such as payment card information). Such details are securely destroyed once used for the specific purpose it was obtained.
We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and we carry out penetration testing to identify ways to further strengthen security.
7. How long will we keep your personal data?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
Examples of data retention periods include:
Orders and Services
When you place an order, we’ll keep the personal data you give us for five years so that we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations. In the case of certain products, such as the sale of electrical items, we will keep the data for ten years.
If your order included a warranty or if you have purchases a Chapman’s Extended Warranty, the associated personal data will be kept until the end of the warranty period. We will also use this data to advise you when the warranty period is coming to an end.
8. Who do we share your personal data with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties.
Examples of these third parties include IT companies who support our business systems and website, couriers and specialist engineers.
The policy that we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy is as follows:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
We do not share your personal data with third parties and suppliers outside the European Economic Area (EEA), such as Australia or the USA.
We do not share your personal data with third parties for any marketing purposes
Any transfer of your personal data will follow applicable laws and we will treat the information under the guiding principles of this Privacy Notice.
9. What are your rights over your personal data?
An overview of your different rights in given below.
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases.
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete; for example, when you withdraw consent, or object and we have no legitimate overriding interest, or once the purpose for which we hold the data has come to an end (such as the end of a warranty).
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
- Review by a Partner of any decision made based solely on automatic processing of your data (i.e. where no human has yet reviewed the outcome and criteria for the decision).
You have the right to request a copy of any information about you that Chapman’s Electrical holds at any time, and also to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate. To ask for your information, please contact Data Protection Officer, Chapmans Electrical, 112-119 Reddal Hill Road, Cradley heath, West Midlands, B64 5JN.
If we choose not to action your request we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
10. Use of your personal data for direct marketing.
At present, we do not use any of the data that we hold for direct marketing purposes.
Should we undertake any direct marketing in the future, we will ask for your consent to do so. We may then contact you by your chosen method from time to time about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting.
If you have agreed that we may contact you, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by your preferred method(s) which may include email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise our services and website according to your interests.
We never share data with third parties for marketing purposes.
11. Chapmans Electrical Finance
11.1 How we use your personal data
We use your personal data to be able to draw up Standing Orders or Direct Debit Agreements relating to your finance agreement with us.
We will also use your details to stay in touch concerning the services we are delivering to you and you agreement with us.
11.2 How our providers use your personal data.
When you then apply for a product or service from one of our chosen providers, your data will be collected and used by them under the terms of their own separate privacy policies.
Here are those individual privacy policies (links open in a new window; please note we can't be responsible for the content of external websites):
11.3 Joint use of your personal data
We may check your details with appropriate third parties (for example credit reference agencies, such as Experian) to ensure your information is accurate and fulfils our legal and regulatory obligations.
All applications for financial services products will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
12. Contacting the Regulator
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
List of cookies we collect
The table below lists the cookies we collect and what information they store.
|COOKIE name||COOKIE Description|
|CART||The association with your shopping cart.|
|CATEGORY_INFO||Stores the category info on the page, that allows to display pages more quickly.|
|COMPARE||The items that you have in the Compare Products list.|
|CURRENCY||Your preferred currency|
|CUSTOMER||An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.|
|CUSTOMER_AUTH||An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.|
|CUSTOMER_INFO||An encrypted version of the customer group you belong to.|
|CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS||Stores the Customer Segment ID|
|EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE||A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.|
|FRONTEND||You sesssion ID on the server.|
|GUEST-VIEW||Allows guests to edit their orders.|
|LAST_CATEGORY||The last category you visited.|
|LAST_PRODUCT||The most recent product you have viewed.|
|NEWMESSAGE||Indicates whether a new message has been received.|
|NO_CACHE||Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.|
|PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART||A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.|
|POLL||The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.|
|POLLN||Information on what polls you have voted on.|
|RECENTLYCOMPARED||The items that you have recently compared.|
|STF||Information on products you have emailed to friends.|
|STORE||The store view or language you have selected.|
|VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS||The products that you have recently viewed.|
|WISHLIST||An encrypted list of products added to your Wishlist.|
|WISHLIST_CNT||The number of items in your Wishlist.|